Recipe by Jessica Roy, executive chef, Current Coastal Cuisine at the Renaissance Hotel
- 2 medium butternut squash
- 8 oz. plus 4 tbs. unsalted butter
- 4 small organic golden beets
- 8 small organic candy stripe beets
- EVOO, to coat
- 4 chicken breasts, 8 oz. each
- 4 tbs. butter
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 3 tbs. EVOO
- 3 tbs. Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¾ cup EVOO
- 8 oz. petite merlot salad green mix
- 1 cup cooked red quinoa
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice neck of butternut squash in rounds ¾-inch thick. Place on a parchment-lined sheet tray. Drizzle with EVOO on both sides and season with salt. Bake in the oven for 23 minutes or until cooked through. Reserve. Take the bottom part of squash and carefully slice in half. Scoop out seeds and place face down on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 35 minutes or until done. Take butter and place in skillet. Heat gently and allow to cook until milk solids turn golden brown. Tend to and stir diligently to prevent burning. Place in cool container and reserve. Scoop out squash bottoms and place in blender. Add ¼ cup water to enable squash to puree. Add browned butter and blend until smooth. Season to taste and reserve in warm place.
- Trim tops off beets. Wash and reserve tops for sautéing. Steam beets for 20 to 25 minutes or until done. While beets are still warm, peel with a soft kitchen towel and cut in half. Keep root intact for a beautiful presentation.
- Place quinoa in rice cooker and season with 1 tbs. salt. Cook for 25 minutes or until done. Allow to dry in 200 degree oven for 20 minutes. Fry at 350 degrees until crispy and golden (optional). Season with salt to taste.
- To make the vinaigrette, heat skillet and add 3 tbs. EVOO. Place shallot in pan and slowly caramelize. Transfer to the blender and add Dijon and vinegars. Slowly emulsify oil into vinegar and shallot mixture. Dressing should be slightly thick. Season to taste. Reserve in warm area.
- Place chicken on lined baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Place 1 tbs. butter on top of each breast, and place thyme sprig on top. Bake in oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until thermometer reads 165 degrees for the thickest part of breast. Allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes before serving. At the last minute, sauté beet greens in skillet with EVOO, salt and pepper.
- To plate, place a generous dollop of squash puree on each plate and swipe across. Place beet greens in center of plate. Place chicken breast on top. Take beets and season with EVOO and salt. Arrange beets around plate. Take squash rounds and cut in half. Place two halves on each plate. Take greens and toss in EVOO and season. Place leaves on top of chicken, and let fall naturally on plate. Drizzle warm vinaigrette on chicken and around plate to finish.
Editor’s Note: Salt and black pepper each component for taste