• 3 1 ⁄4 cups of cake flour
• 4 1 ⁄ 2 tsp baking powder
• 1 1 ⁄ 2 tsp of salt
• 2 1 ⁄4 cups of sugar
• 1 1 ⁄4 cups of unsalted butter, soft
• 2 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 1 ⁄2 cups of whole milk, slightly warmed
• 8 large egg whites
• 2 cups of raspberries
• 3 to 4 large ripe peaches, pitted and halved
• 3 tbs of olive oil
• 1 ⁄2 cup of sliced almonds
• 2 cups of heavy cream, chilled
• 3 tbs of sugar
• 1 tsp of vanilla extract
Makes one 9-inch triple layer cake
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line three 9-inch round cake pans with parchment and grease well with pan spray. Set aside.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the sugar, butter and vanilla on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape bowl well. Alternately add the dry ingredients and milk in three portions, mixing well after each addition.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites to medium stiff peaks. Gently fold the whites into the cake batter in three equal portions. Fold in 1 cup of the raspberries along with the last portion of whites. Evenly distribute the cake batter into the three prepared pans and bake for 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cakes cool completely.
5. Turn on your grill to high heat. Slice some of the peach halves into quarters and toss all the peaches with the olive oil in a large bowl. Place the peaches on the grill and cook until fruit is cooked through and has grill marks, about 4 minutes per side. Return finished peaches to bowl. Set aside.
6. Place the almonds in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Shake the pan continuously and toast the almonds until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
7. In a mixer fitted with the whip attachment, beat the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla on high speed until medium peaks form.
8. Slice o tops of cake. Spread the whipped cream between the cake layers and top with the grilled peaches, remaining raspberries and toasted almonds.
Recipe excerpted with permission from
published by Skyhorse | RRP $22.99 hardcover.