Source ECB for meat — it can’t be beat.
• 1 whole trimmed pork tenderloin, about 1 lb.
• 1 large piece of caul fat, about 16” X 16”
• 2 lbs. loose sausage of your choice
• 4 medium amarosa potatoes, cut in halves or thick slices
• ½ lb. shishito peppers, whole
• 1 handful baby carrots, with the tops trimmed
• 2 medium red onions, quartered with root base intact to keep petals together
• 4 tbs. olive oil
• 2 tbs. ECB Meat Rub
• 3 sprigs rosemary
• 3 sprigs thyme
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Remove tenderloin from the refrigerator and allow to temper for 30 minutes. Roll out sausage between two pieces of parchment or plastic wrap until it is a rectangle 8 inches wide, 1 inch longer than the tenderloin and ⅓ inch thick.
2. Season the tenderloin on all sides, then place the meat lengthwise on the edge of the sausage closest to you. Roll the loin and sausage away from you, using the edge of the parchment to help start the wrapping. Pinch and smooth the ends closed. Once fully wrapped, place the loin in the freezer for 20 minutes.
3. Toss the cut vegetables with olive oil, herbs and ECB Meat Rub, reserving 1 tbs. for later, and set aside. Line a sheet tray with parchment and then foil, set aside.
4. Rinse and stretch caul fat on a cutting board the length and width of your sausage-wrapped tenderloin. Remove the loin from the freezer and place it in the middle of the caul fat, wrapping the caul fat around the loin in a thin, single layer. Place the tenderloin on the sheet tray, and arrange dressed vegetables around the roast. Season the entire roast and vegetables with salt, pepper and remaining ECB Meat Rub. Place in the oven for 30 minutes.
5. When done (tenderloin should read at least 130 degrees with a probe meat thermometer), remove from the oven and allow to rest 10 minutes before serving. Slice into ¼ to ⅓ inch medallions and serve over the bed of roasted vegetables or fresh arugula.
Electric City Butcher: Whole Animal Butcher | 201 E. 4th St., Santa Ana | 714.474.9096 | electriccitybutcher.com