695 Town Center Dr
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
714.463.6060 | vacarestaurant.com
- 8 Oz Salted Cod
- 1 Russet potato
- 2 Oz Corn starch
- 1.4 Cups All-purpose flour
- 4 Oz Beer
- 1 Tbsp Squid ink
- 1 Oz Butter
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1 Pinch Sugar
- First rinse cod under water for about five minutes, after rinsing cook in milk until it boils. Once the milk has boiled, strain milk and repeat same process two more times.
- Place potato in separate pot and cover with cold water. Cook potato until tender. Once cooked strain from water and rice the potato. Place potato and salted cod in mixer or bowl.
- Next, in a separate pot combine butter, salt and sugar until butter is fully melted. Once melted, add flour to pot and continue to stir and cook. Once a film has formed on the bottom of pan, pull off heat and let Pâte à Choux cool.
- Once chilled, combine the Pâte à Choux a little at a time with cod/potato mix until you reach a firm consistency. Once consistency is reached, portion out cod mix with 2 oz. scoop.
- For the batter, combine corn starch, flour, beer and squid ink. Mix well and keep cool until ready to fry Bacalao.
- Coat each croquete in squid ink batter and fry at 350 degrees for about 3-5 minutes. Season as they come out of the fryer and enjoy.