“Delight dinner guests with this deep, boozy, herbed bourguignon.” — Katy Beskow
Recipe excerpted with permission from “15 Minute Vegan Comfort Food” by Katy Beskow, published by Quadrille Sept. 2018, $22.99 hardcover.
• 2 tbs. olive oil
• 1 lb. 5 oz. chestnut (cremini) mushrooms, brushed clean and halved
• 6 shallots, halved
• 1 carrot, sliced
• 1 clove of garlic, crushed
• ½ tsp. dried thyme
• ½ tsp. dried rosemary
• 3 tsp. plain (all-purpose) flour
• ¾ cup red wine (ensure vegan)
• 1 tbs. tomato ketchup
• ½ cup hot water
• Pinch of sea salt and black pepper
Note: Mushrooms absorb lots of liquid, so cook them in a separate pan to the base sauce to keep them at their best.
1. In a frying pan, heat 1 tbs. of the olive oil and cook the mushrooms over medium-high heat for 10 minutes until softened and fragrant.
2. In a separate large saucepan, heat the remaining olive oil and sauté the shallots and carrot over a medium high heat for 4 minutes until the carrot begins to soften. Add the garlic, thyme and rosemary, and sauté for another minute, then sprinkle in the flour and ensure the vegetables are well coated.
3. Pour the wine and ketchup into the shallot pan, stir through and allow to reduce for 10 minutes, adding the hot water when the sauce starts to thicken.
4. Spoon the cooked mushrooms and any juices into the saucepan and season to taste with sea salt and black pepper.