Broadway by Amar Santana
328 Glenneyre St. Laguna Beach, CA 92651
- 1 lb veal sweetbreads
- 1lb butter
- 1lb kataifi (shredded phyllo dough)
- 4 eggs
- 7 granny smith apples
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 butternut squash
- 3 shallots
- 6 garlic cloves
- Mirin rice wine (to cover, about 1 quart)
- 2 quarts veal stock
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 Tbsp Vadouvan
- 8 quarts fry oil
- Bay Leaves
- Salt & Ground Black Pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Set the sous vide machine to 59 degrees Celsius.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, season heavily with salt.
- Blanch sweetbreads in boiling water for 2 minutes. Shock in ice water.
- Pull off the membranes of the sweetbreads with a small knife.
- Place sweetbreads into individual Cryovac bags with 1 Tbsp of butter, 2 sprigs of thyme, salt & ground black pepper.
- Cook sweetbreads for about 1 hour, time will vary depending on size. The sweetbreads are done when they feel firm, “medium” to the touch.
- Pull out of the water, let rest for 10 minutes then cool down with ice.
- Once cooled, pull them out of the bags and dry off.
- Whisk the eggs in a small bowl to create an egg wash.
- Place long pieces of defrosted kataifi on a cutting board. Dip the sweetbreads in the egg wash, and place at the bottom of the strands of kataifi. Roll the sweetbreads loosely in the kataifi and place on a parchment-lined sheet tray. Let them dry out for about 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Bring about 8 quarts of frying oil to 350 degrees F.
- Gently place the sweetbreads in the fryer. Fry until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Pull out and place on a paper towel and season with salt.
- Julienne 3 apples and 1 onion. Place in a medium pot and cover with Mirin, season with salt. Place on low heat and simmer until the liquid has evaporated and the apples & onions are soft.
- Puree in a blender until smooth.
Apple Cider Jus
- Reduce 2 quarts of veal stock in a pot until you have about 2 cups of liquid.
- Large dice 2 apples, slice 3 shallots, and slice 6 garlic cloves.
- Heat about 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil in a medium pot. Sweat the shallots, garlic, apples, bay leaves, peppercorns, and thyme until translucent.
- Deglaze the pot with dry red wine. Boil until all the alcohol has cooked off. Add the veal stock, and continue cooking until it becomes a thick sauce consistency.
- Strain the sauce through a mesh strainer.
- Set the sous vide to 85 degrees Celsius.
- Peel and small dice 1 butternut squash.
- Peel 2 granny smith apples. Use a melon baller to scoop out small balls.
- Place the squash and apples in separate Cryovac bags, add 1 Tbsp of butter, salt, pepper, and thyme to each bag.
- Cook the apples for about 20 minutes and the squash for about 30-45 minutes depending on size.
- Saute the apples and squash in a little brown butter once they are done cooking.