In a restaurant, this elegant fricassée of chicken and mushrooms would be served in a mound on a bone-china plate. But that’s not the posh way. Heap it on toast and sprinkle with fresh tarragon. Much nicer, isn’t it?
SERVES 4 | TAKES 15 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 250g/9oz wild mushrooms, such as chanterelle
- 85ml/3fl oz Marsala
- 125ml/4fl oz double (heavy) cream
- large handful tarragon, finely chopped
- 4 slices spelt or wholemeal bread
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Season the chicken then add to the pan and cook over a high heat for 3–4 minutes, until browned all over.
- Throw in the mushrooms and cook for 2–3 minutes or until they are beginning to wilt.
- Slosh in the Marsala and let it bubble for a few minutes until reduced by half. Stir in the cream and simmer for 2–3 minutes, until thickened slightly.
- Check for seasoning and finally stir through the tarragon, reserving a little for the garnish.
- Toast the bread and top with the creamy mushrooms and chicken, then grind over a little black pepper and sprinkle over the reserved tarragon.
Excerpt from the book Posh Toast. Published by: Quadrille. $19.99, Hardcover