- 1 ea chicken leg & thigh
- 1 Bilbao chorizo sausage link, cut into coins.
- 3 ea head on U15 Tiger shrimp –peeled but only the body, leave the head on and tail.
- 4 oz salmon, skin off – cut into 2 oz cubes
- 5 mussels – soak in slated water for 30 minutes, then scrub them and pull their breads out
- 3 clams – soak in slated water for 30 minutes, then scrub them.
- 3 c chicken stock
- 1 c Spanish Bomba rice
- 1 c Vino Blanco
- 1⁄4 c olive oil
- 10 ea saffron threads
- 1⁄2 tsp cumin
- 1⁄4 tsp allspice
- 1 ea bay leaf
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1⁄4 c ea small diced yellow, green, red bell peppers
- 1⁄4 c small diced onions
- 2 tbs minced garlic
- 1⁄2 tbs kosher or sea salt
- 2 ea sliced green onions – for garnish
- 1 lemon, cut in half and deseeded
1. Heat up a 12-inch pan over medium-high heat. Place the 2 lemons 1/2 in the pan and sear for about 2 minutes, then set aside for garnish. Add some olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
2. Season the chicken, shrimp and salmon with a little of the salt. Sear o your chicken, skin side down, until golden brown for about 5 – 8 minutes. Flip your chicken and add your salmon, only cook one side golden brown, then your shrimp get a quick sear on each side about a minute each. Once the chicken and the salmon are about half-way cooked, remove from the pan and set aside with the shrimp.
3. Add chorizo into the pan and sauté until you start getting some color. Add more oil to the pan. Sauté the peppers, onions, and garlic until soft – and season with the saffron, cumin, allspice, smoked paprika and bay leaf. Cook on low heat for about 5 minutes.
4. Add your wine and bring to a boil. Reduce it by 1⁄2 and add your chicken and your rice. Once it is dry, add your stock and bring to a boil with the clams and mussels.
5. Once it is about half way cooked, add the salmon and the shrimp and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until there is no more liquid. Turn up heat for about a minute to dry up your pan until a nice crust is formed on the bottom of your paella.
6. Garnish paella with sliced green onions, seared lemons and dots of jalapeño cream (see recipe on our website!) throughout your paella. Enjoy!
Can’t get enough of Chef Moreno’s Havana flavors?
You can also find him at Habana’s new location at the Irvine Spectrum Center!