Chickpea Shawarma Salad
Protein: 19.3 grams
For the chickpeas
- One 15-ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed, drained and dried with a clean towel
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Heaping one tsp cumin
- Heaping 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Heaping 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Scant 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch each black pepper, ground coriander + cardamom
For the salad
- 5 ounces spring mix lettuce (organic when possible)
- Ten cherry tomatoes, chopped (organic when possible)
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup fresh parsley
- 20 pita chips, slightly crushed (store bought or homemade)
For the dressing
- 1/2 cup hummus
- Three cloves garlic, finely minced or grated
- One tsp dried dill
- One lemon juiced
- Water to thin
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and dry chickpeas before placing them in a mixing bowl. Add olive oil and all seasonings and toss to combine.
- Once evenly coated, arrange chickpeas into a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for approximately 20-22 minutes, until brown and crispy.
- While the chickpeas are baking, combine all salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- To make the dressing, mix hummus, garlic, dill and lemon juice in small mixing bowl and whisk until evenly combined. Lastly, add warm water and continue to whisk until desired consistency is met.
- Toss salad with the dressing, adding chickpeas and pita chips (if desired).
Article Source: Minimalist Baker